Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

GM synchromesh=ambrosia for ur tranny

Old 04-23-2004, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
Thumbs up GM synchromesh=ambrosia for ur tranny

So after I started grinding into 1st on my stock gear oil, (~20k) I opted to try synthetic ( of the mobil 1 variety) seemed smoother at first, but after ~a week, problems started to arise..... I was scared to shift into 1st from a stop as it would grind 75% of the time .....The tranny felt weak and the oil seemed to be waaay to slick...

I lived w/this for about ~8000mi and finally decided to do something about it. (warrranty was out of the question )

Researched tons and tons of of gear oils and found inconsistant reviews about everything till I ran across GM synchromesh. Three weeks ago I swapped out the mobil one and made a gear oil "cocktail": 2.7 quarts of regular *** dino 80w90 valvoline and 1 quart of GM synchromesh(<-------this crap is xpensive!)

WOW! What a difference. Smooth as hell, NOgrinds whatsoever, much lower decel noise and all around a much smoother tranny...feels better than new.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Just thought I'd share my experiences w/this great stuff.....so what if I have to change it more often?? Hell I'd do it every oil change if that's what it takes to stop those nasty grinds.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but THanks GM!!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by 02silversuby
ur supposed to change gear oil every 15k you were at 20k that might be why it was acting up.

-Adam
Actually ur supposed to change it after 30k.......most dealers won't even DO the job until after 30k.....

General: Go to any GM dealer, (ie pontiac, buick, saab, etc.) they have it for $10 a quart.......it WILL save your syncros..
Old 04-23-2004, 06:55 PM

oh, and BTW, I think pennzoil makes it for GM, but I opted for the real deal cause I'm ****...... I'm pretty sure they're the same shiet. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:58 PM

exactly my thoughts. I was in basically the same exact situation as you. The metal/metal sounds are horrific.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 PM

Very curious to see how it works out for you as it basically saved my rex. Let me know.... I'm off of work so Later.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
It works great, I used it to top off on stock oil and it helped. GM had the same problem with their trannys and that is why it was developed.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Question

will this stuff also work in your rear differential?

im looking to do my tranny as well as my differntial at the same time... can i just buy 5 quarts of gm syncromesh and do both? is this enough? or should i mix it with some other weight oil?
Old 04-24-2004, 12:09 PM

yeah it'll work for the rear.......the best I've heard is a mixture--basically 2/3 regular dino (valvoline 80w90) and 1/3 of the GM stuff. I'd just really try to stay away from the synthetic stuff for our trannies--unless your lucky enough to have an Sti 6sp
Old 04-24-2004, 02:20 PM

can't give you a definate answer either way--I chose to mix it and it worked fine. All my info about this stuff was found on these boards (iclub, nasioc, clubwrx) so i'd do a search.

I'd say fill it up pure and try it out (if you're willing to fork out the $) can't see why it would hurt.

Search this Thread