offsets and spacers 02 L

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2002 forester
offsets and spacers 02 L

FOR A 2002 FORESTER L with the stock ride height... How much offset can i get on a sixteen inch wheel if I'm using 10mm spacers in front and 5mm spacer in the back? and will that change with a slight strut and spring upgrade?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
well, that would net you -10mm offset in the front and -5mm offset in the rear. I don't know why you would want to do that, but you could.

I think OEM forester wheels are +48 offset or so.
Name:  backspacing.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  30.5 KB

Last edited by Gancherov; 07-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
well, that would net you -10mm offset in the front and -5mm offset in the rear.
right but how much could i get away with without rubbing tires? in the interest of widening the stance as much as possible
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by joshuawoodall
FOR A 2002 FORESTER L with the stock ride height... How much offset can i get on a sixteen inch wheel if I'm using 10mm spacers in front and 5mm spacer in the back? and will that change with a slight strut and spring upgrade?
NEED MOAR INFO!!!

what spring/strut upgrade?
-stiffer?
-softer?
-taller?
-lower?

Intentions?
-DD?
-track?
-hybrid?

and IIRC forester OE 16's run a +55 offset. with your numbers you provided with spacers, youd be running a +45 ET up front and +50 in rear.

and im sure you'll get this from other memebers as well. BUT..IMO, any spacers over 8mm would constitute a wider wheel setup. geometry is everything in suspension. the slightest modification will throw those specs right out. (wheel bearing, load bearing bushings, etc.) come back with more info and im sure ull get the answer u need.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
NEED MOAR INFO!!!

what spring/strut upgrade?
-stiffer?
-softer?
-taller?
-lower?

Intentions?
-DD?
-track?
-hybrid?

and IIRC forester OE 16's run a +55 offset. with your numbers you provided with spacers, youd be running a +45 ET up front and +50 in rear.

and im sure you'll get this from other memebers as well. BUT..IMO, any spacers over 8mm would constitute a wider wheel setup. geometry is everything in suspension. the slightest modification will throw those specs right out. (wheel bearing, load bearing bushings, etc.) come back with more info and im sure ull get the answer u need.
Under stood...
lets say stiffer, lower, like a sport spring, a spirited daily driver. I'm, also thinking 15 if it'll fit. then i can get more tire underneath. The wheel bearing will fail, and be replaced anyways but the understeer is boring, so Im trying to map out a lowest budget cenario to make a $4000 car fun to drive.

btw thank you for your replies
Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Spacers are not for aesthetics. In your type of driving they will do more harm to performance than benefit it.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
You don't need stupid wide to get grip and more tire alone does not equal more grip. To get rid of understeer you need to start with sways and good tires.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 PM

Under stood...
lets say stiffer, lower, like a sport spring, a spirited daily driver. I'm, also thinking 15 if it'll fit. then i can get more tire underneath. The wheel bearing will fail, and be replaced anyways but the understeer is boring, so Im trying to map out a lowest budget cenario to make a $4000 car fun to drive.

btw thank you for your replies
+15 ET?!?!?! holy hell!

i have an RS but its the most fun ive had in a scoob. me, personally am more about the handling and fun rather than power. i bought my RS for 5k and prob put about that much into mods, just handling and looks.

for a low budget, id recommend these mods first:

-front/rear sway bars
-suspension (you got the right idea....sorta)
-tires

if you want lower, dont just go shorter and stiffer springs (looks like u got the right idea with new strut/spring combo. but never shorten spring but not replace OE strut) coilovers are a good investment too.

*for that understeer when lower, id suggest:

-either of the whiteline ALKs (offset bushing or replacement spacer provided by whiteline)
-whitelines bump steer kit
-whitelines steering rack bushings

in terms of rubbing if you really want that low and mean (herra frush) look, hit up some meets, take a look at many photos online, etc.

in the end, what do you want? Form or function?

hope i helped out a little.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Spacers are not for aesthetics. In your type of driving they will do more harm to performance than benefit it.
I appreciate this but I know what this set up does to subarus with understeer it has nothing to do with asthetics, i dont care what it looks like this wont actually change the asthetics very much at all.
The question was how much can I get away with without rubbing. There is no plan to dump the car, it wont even see much lowering.
This is a forester forum right?
Did I post this question in the wrong place?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM

I appreciate this but I know what this set up does to subarus with understeer it has nothing to do with asthetics, i dont care what it looks like this wont actually change the asthetics very much at all.
The question was how much can I get away with without rubbing. There is no plan to dump the car, it wont even see much lowering.
I-club=Subaru Forum
Forester=Subaru

by associative property.....ahahahahhaha.

what im confused about is.. aesthetic wont change, but you want to know how flush u can go with out rubbing?

what are you REALLY trying to accomplish? looks or handling? further spaced or wider wheels do not always constitute better grip/handling. as BR stated ull end up doing more damage/incurring more handling issues than good...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
I-club=Subaru Forum
Forester=Subaru

by associative property.....ahahahahhaha.

what im confused about is.. aesthetic wont change, but you want to know how flush u can go with out rubbing?

what are you REALLY trying to accomplish? looks or handling? further spaced or wider wheels do not always constitute better grip/handling. as BR stated ull end up doing more damage/incurring more handling issues than good...
Not looks,, thank you for your opinions. I'm assuming no one knows
Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
If this is for understeer and not aesthetics then why are you wanting to run rear spacers and such large spacers in the 1st place. 10mm is very considerable in size. I'll push the point again, running what you've posted will hurt your handling more than benefit it. On a street car even staggering the offsets the way that raced cars do won't be noticeable at all because you're not pushing the car that hard and you're not going to see some kind of decrease in time in your trip to the store like you would in lap times. You're coming at this completely wrong. If you want better performance, esp in regards to understeer, get springs and sway bars. Installing spacers for handling on a street car is utterly preposterous.

Last edited by Brfatal; 07-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Not looks,, thank you for your opinions. I'm assuming no one knows

youre answer is out there...if not already in your own OP.

so, are you asking how low an offset u can run without rubbing? cuz thats different than what youre asking. you provided us with a wheel and offset numbers. anyone can calculate what offset ull be left with. the offset is not going to change with a different suspension combo. camber and caster will be affected but not offest..... theres only so much offset u can get with an OE wheel and 10mm spacer (i.e OE offset is lets say +48 paired with a 10mm spacer...yup u guessed it +38) i highly doubt you will rub. especially at stock height or since u dont plan on dumping.

if what you are asking is: can i run 10mm spacers on my OE forester wheels without rubbing and at stock height?

answer. YES

not stock height (slammed) id expect a roll/pull/stupid camber setup. have u looked at newer OE wheels? (08+ wrx) GL. hope im slowly getting to ur answer. lol.

and i might ask. why are u so keen on keeping OE wheels and spacing them a quite crazy amount?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
If this is for understeer and not aesthetics then why are you wanting to run rear spacers and such large spacers in the 1st place. 10mm is very considerable in size. I'll push the point again, running what you've posted will hurt your handling more than benefit it.
+1. we'll get there. in dude time. in due time. LOL. seems like OP is not sure what he wants. and cant agree on a happy medium
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM

The question was to put out to find out how much rubber I can get under the car, because I have not set a forester up as of yet, the rest of your information is great but seeing as already successfully tuned two subarus those aren't the things I need help answering, but thank you for your input, did somebody say +15? Is there any other input about the offset, the suspension talk isn't needed

Quick Reply: offsets and spacers 02 L