Show and Shine Show off your completed pride and joy here.

Stupidchicken's Super Sweet Subaru Saga Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ugg so been having some car troubles..

The DAY BEFORE we are leaving for Maui, I get a check engine light.... great.

I pull out my AP and pull the codes and found out I had two:

1- P0037- heater control circut low bank 1 sensor 2

2- P0172- system too rich bank 1

First one is not a big deal because I dont even have an O2 sensor. Paul just turned the code off when I got the car tuned so I wouldnt have to worry about it. But this is the 2nd time that its just come back on by itself..

The second code im not sure why it came up. Dont really have any idea what would cause me to all of the sudden start running too rich.

But I park the car at home, lock everything up and leave for Maui putting it in the back of my mind, not to worry about it till I get home. So today I hopped in the car and drove over to Db to tell Paul what was up (brought my AP too just in case). So I get there and tell him whats going on. He goes out and pulls the same two codes I did a week before. He tells me that are a car here and there, the O2 sensor code will come back up even after turning it off and his solution is to take the current map on my car, and just save it under a different name in a different location on his tuning laptop. So he does that and loads it to my AP.

Then once he connect everything for the AP and are ready to install the new named map things start acting up. The map is now named "Thomas" instead of something like "db2". But when you click on the "thomas" map on the AP, it gives a description of valet mode. So we are both like wtf.. I asked him if once an AP in linked to a computer (like the tuners) if it cant be linked to another computer (like the owners). He said no you should be able to. I had tried a few times before but it wouold never work. Paul said we should bring it in and update it to see if that might help. Well it took like 3 or 4 times for it to FINALLY update (or at least said it did, now I want to run out and verify that its running the current firmware) because it kept saying it "failed to update blah blah blah".

So now the AP is updated (i think, still have to double check) and we go out to see if the new named map will work. Sure enough it worked just fine. But then ANOTHER cel code came up:

P1088- Tumble generator valve #1 (RH) position sensor circuit low input

and has something to do with my tgvs.. Im now getting irritated that all this is happening. He told me to take the car home, let it cool down, disconect the plugs to the tgvs then reconnect them and clear the code. Hoping that it wont come back (damn now i wished i had just used the tgv deletes that came with the sti motor i bought back in Aug 09 instead of selling them lol).

So i tell him thanks for helping and leave the shop heading for Walmart to pick up a couple things before going home. As I pull into the parking lot, I put the clutch in and pull it out of gear to just coast up to the stop sign. Engine didnt sound normal for being in neutral so I turned down my radio and looked at my tac. I was in neutral at like 1400 rpm... not right. So i tap the gas real quick and then the rpm drop down to like 600.. thats better. This now happens OVER AND OVER. Anytime I put it in gear and accelerate a bit, it will drop down to like 1400rpm in neutral OR in gear when I let off the gas. Then if i give it a quick tap it will drop back to 600rpm. So i do it again and this time put my foot under the gas pedal pulling it up from the floor when the throttle is "sticking" to see if my pedal was the issuse, but no dice, the rpm stayed high. So i called Paul and told him what was going on and he said thats really weird. But of course he cant do much over the phone and he was getting ready to leave for the day.

So i go into walmart get all the stuff I need and head out. The gas is still "sticking"... I pull onto the freeway and my car is really bogging down now! like after 3500 rpm it was like luning like it didnt want to go anymore but then like snapped out of it liek a kid acting up and kept going. Went to around 4300rpm then shifted. The shifts did not feel smooth like normal and neither did the acceleration.

Got home and parked teh car. Idk what the hell is up but this is getting redik! Like right when I got home jdblock sent me a txt and told me that COBB just posted up about new firmware for the ver2 AP for 2.0 motors (http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuni...r-subarus.html) So im hoping that solved my AP problem.

Or maybe something didnt go right and thats why my car is all of the sudden acting up like this now?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 70 BMW 1600
Damn thats no good.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Churro Aficionado

ya... super irritating.

My friend is coming tomorrow and we are going to log the car and see whats up
Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Churro Aficionado

ok so P0037 is now again turned off and dont have to worry about that one.

We cleared P0172 and it hasnt come back on yet.

and to fix P1088 im pretty sure this is what is going to have to be done:

http://www.scoobymods.com/tgv-sensor...88-t5160.html?

so im prolly going to try and get to the bad sensor today and remove it from the car.

From what my friend Alex and I have been reading:

1- you can buy a single tgv sensor, you have to buy the whole freaking tgv assembly

2- the tgv sensor and the throttle position sensor (tps) are the same thing.

3- called subaru yesterday and the 02/03 wrx and the 04/05 sti have the same part number for the tps. Based on that, they have the same tvg sensors.

4- Alex has an extra tgv sensor from his 05 sti

So im going to try and remove the old one either today or tomorrow and hopfully sometime this weekend Alex is going to make it over and bring his tgv sensor

here are the listed problems with that CEL code:

trouble symptom:

erroneous idlling

engine stalls

poor driving performance
Those are the problems i was feeling.. So hoping this is the fix
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Churro Aficionado

ok so getting to the damn bottom bolt on the tgv sensor is NOT as easy as this guy in post #7 makes it seem http://www.scoobymods.com/tgv-sensor...5160.html?amp;

I used the same size 1/4" extension and all that.. didnt work. The socket is sitting just off and feels like it would strip the bolt.

So i busted out my 1/4" flex extension and the socket still wont sit flush on the bolt.

Ive tried all different angles and tools but nothing can get in that space. I hoping im not going to have to take the turbo off to get to this stupid thing
Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Churro Aficionado

Well got everything taken care of

We did end up having to take the nuts holding the turbo to the up pipe off and pulling the turbo up just a tiny bit for more clearance. But we got the old sensor out and the new one in, reset the ecu and no more check engine light (when we reset the ecu on Mon the check engine light came right back on for the tvg sensor).

My throttle is still sticking a tho. Think it might be the cable? But the car is running smoother.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Churro Aficionado

so my AC has been out for months now. Wife wont even ride in my car cuz its too hot for her

This happened last summer too. I got it rechaged and it worked the rest of the summer. Then of course didnt use it all winter. A few months ago when it was freakishly hot for that time of year, i turned the AC on and nada... Got it recharged again and this time it only lasted like 2 days. Searched the AC lines for any visable leak but found nothing.

So im guessing its my expansion valve. Going to call the subaru recyclers in Rancho Cordova tomorrow to see if they have an EV i could get.

Then do this nice process of getting to it and replacing it haha

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...ed-c-help.html

posts 7 and 9+ are the most helpful.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
TGV Deletes ftw!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Churro Aficionado

what sucks is that i had deletes that came with the swap... AND extra sensors/motors.... and sold all within the last 3/4 months
Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Churro Aficionado

6/30/10
so my AC has been out for months now. Wife wont even ride in my car cuz its too hot for her

This happened last summer too. I got it rechaged and it worked the rest of the summer. Then of course didnt use it all winter. A few months ago when it was freakishly hot for that time of year, i turned the AC on and nada... Got it recharged again and this time it only lasted like 2 days. Searched the AC lines for any visable leak but found nothing.

So im guessing its my expansion valve. Going to call the subaru recyclers in Rancho Cordova tomorrow to see if they have an EV i could get.

Then do this nice process of getting to it and replacing it haha
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...ed-c-help.html

posts 7 and 9+ are the most helpful.

Last edited by stupidchicken03; 07-01-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added date from yesterday
Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Churro Aficionado

so i got the old expansion valve out.

Really wasnt hard at all. Took about 45mins to remove while having to move other stuff around that ive added to the car and what not.

Hardest part thus far was removing the top right screw on the white plastic piece surrounding the valve, and unplugging the clip to the light in the glove box
Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Churro Aficionado

New valve installed and car put back together. Now just need to get the system charged
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Churro Aficionado

CEL codes

P0037- heater control circut low bank 1 sensor 2
and
P0172- system too rich bank 1

both came back on tonight
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Churro Aficionado

So took the car in today to Db to see what the heck is up wiht these damn cel codes coming up.

The current map on my car shows that the O2 sensor code is turned off so hes not sure whats going on. Tried to reflash my ecu again wiht the same map saved under another name again and it wouldnt do it this time. Starting to think it might be a problem wiht the AP. Called COBB but of course they were already closed so i left a message.

I love car problems
Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
good luck dude...maybe after the firmware update for the AP things started to go wrong?

Quick Reply: Stupidchicken's Super Sweet Subaru Saga Thread