Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Auto-RX Oil Treatment. Don't Do It.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Auto-RX Oil Treatment. Don't Do It.

I have posted this to the official Auto-RX forums only to have the thread deleted 2 times, and the account I used to post this banned. Just a further example as to how terrible their customer service is.

I am writing to anyone that might be on the fence about purchasing a treatment or two of Auto-RX. In few words, Don't Do it. Allow me to go into the background of my issue.

I have a 2003 wrx that was burning around .75 quarts of oil every thousand miles or so. Thinking that it might be a stuck ring land I came across Auto-RX that claimed it could free up stuck ring lands, increase cylinder pressures, and reduce oil blow by. "GREAT!" I thought to myself, this is exactly what I needed. So after speaking with Rich Eklund regarding what oil to use in my treatment cycle I settled on Valvoline Conventional 5w30 for both the treatment oil, and the rinse oil.

Roughly 1000-1500 miles into the treatment an oil leak developed on the drivers side of my motor, at first I thought it might have been the valve cover gasket. So I looked on the Auto-RX website and saw that there was a possibility that Auto-RX could make your seals more pliable. "Seems plausible" I thought to myself, the FAQ said that it could take up to 3000 miles for the seals to re-seal and after that everything should be golden. So I waited, drained out the Auto-RX treatment oil and refilled with clean Valvoline 5w30 and a fresh Purelator One filter. 1,000 miles passed, no change in the leak. 2,000 miles passed, still no change in fact it was getting worse. 3,000 miles passed, and still the oil leak was getting a little worse. After 3,500 miles I drained the oil and refilled with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a fresh Purelator One filter.

During this time I began speaking to local shops regarding what the cause could be, as Auto-RX states that it cannot under any circumstances cause harm to seals. The overwhelming conscensus was that a cam seal had torn. So I contacted Auto-RX again to get their opinion on what could be going on. And once again Rich Ukland answered my email. Wherein he said that it could be a stuck PCV valve, maybe some dirt had dislodged and gotteen stuck in the seal causing the leak, or that it could also be a torn seal. He offered that he could look into getting a complimentary bottle of Auto-RX sent to me if a new PCV wouldn't solve the problem.

After a few days I decided that I would I would take Rich up on his offer of a complimentary bottle of Auto-RX. I sent an email in on July 22nd, wherein I asked if he could look into getting another bottle of Auto-RX sent to me. Here is where the otherwise good customer service experience went completely down hill. Rich was out on vacation and now Frank Miller (the owner of the company) was answering the emails. Here is his response to the email I wrote:

"Hello Rich is on vacation. Why would we send you a free bottle of Auto-Rx ?"

Brief to say the least. But I oblidged to tell him why a free bottle might be sent to me with this reply:

"Well first and foremost Rich said that he'd look into it. To give you the back story: after my first treatment of Auto-RX I developed an oil leak from a cam seal, I had hoped that it would have gone away but it still persists 5000 miles after the treatment oil had been drained."

Now keep in mind that Auto-RX uses a gmail account for their customer service email. So Frank would have full access to the string of emails that had been sent. Here is the response I received from Frank, along with the rest of the email conversation. His emails are Bolded, mine are italicized:

"WHAT IS THE OIL YOUR USING ? "

"I ran Valvoline conventional through it for the treatment oil and the oil change after. It currently has Pennzoil Ultra in it."

"This is from our website " Drain the Ultra go back to Valvoline Conventinal the leak will stop." He copy/pasted a portion of the website that went over why you should not use Pennzoil Ultra or other PAO based oils in conjunction with an Auto-RX treatment. Keep in mind that at this point my motor had not had Auto-RX in it for 5000 miles.

"I had run Valvoline convention through it for after the treatment 3000 miles and the leak showed no signs of stopping. I do plan on changing back to a conventional oil as the price of the pennzoil ultra is prohibitive given that the car is leaking more than 1 quart every 1000 miles currently. To clarify, Pennzoil Ultra and Auto-RX have *NOT* been in the motor at the same time, only Valvoline Conventional was used with Auto-RX and in the oil change following the Auto-RX treatment."

"**** is is the complex additive package in the full synthetic oil that caused the leak to come back. If your saying it leaked after you completed rinse mode with Valvoline Conventinal oil ? than you have a torn or ripped seal. Which will have to be replaced." He clearly had not understood that the oil leak began during the original Auto-RX treatment and had not stopped since.

"That is exactly what I am saying, the leak developed at the end of the treatment cycle and persisted through the rinse and into this current oil change. I have an appointment on monday to have the seal replaced which will be roughly $400. Needless to say I am very much less than thrilled to be having to spend $400 to replace a seal with less than 10k miles on it after using your product. I would appreciate some assistance in repairing this damage that your product caused."

"Auto-Rx can't cause a sel leak and it can't repair a torn seal Based on your e-mails think you should step to the plate and recognise your own inability to except a mechanical problem. If you added more Auto-Rx after the application was complete you need to tell me perhaps i can save you a repair bill also if you used a full synthetic right after the Auto-rx Application you need to tell me by right after i mean with in 500 miles after Your Auto-rx application was finished. " I was willing to recount all of the steps I had taken with the original Auto-RX treatment. But it was at this point when Frank began getting hostile with me simply because I requested some sort of assistance with the oil leak that started during the Auto-RX treatment. This response caused me to reel, was this person really a representative of the company? Why would you be treating a customer like this, especially when they're having a rather serious issue?

"I really do not appreciate your condescending attitude and remarks regarding this matter.

I have told you, multiple times, that the oil I used with the Auto-RX treatment (when the leak started) was Valvoline Conventional, as is one of your recommended oils. The oil change immediately after that treatment cycle was ALSO Valvoline Conventional, as is the recommendation. The leak began roughly 1000 miles into the treatment cycle, and has not stopped in the 5000 miles since.

This is not my inability to "except" a mechanical problem, this is your product causing a seal to degrade in such a manner as to cause this oil leak. I have not added any further Auto-RX to any of the following oil changes as I had read the seal leak application documentation that you replied with. If you believe that another treatment of Auto-RX will remedy the situation, by all means send me another bottle and I will put it in with my next oil change. However, given the amount of oil that is leaking from the seal, I do not believe this is simply a pliable seal. I have attached several photographs that show how oily the undercarriage of the car is now due to this oil leak and the size of the oil stain on my driveway from this oil leak. Previous to this my vehicle had never dripped a single drop of oil in it's lifetime, the undercarriage was only every covered with road dust and dirt. It is now covered in a film of oil."
I sent him these four photos which show how much oil is leaking from the seal: https://i.imgur.com/m2UAo.jpg https://i.imgur.com/H0kfC.jpg https://i.imgur.com/bU9Hw.jpg https://i.imgur.com/PbOJC.jpg

"If i am to accept you did the application absoulutely correct than your leak it is because it is ripped or torn.We don't fix this problem. Another bottle of Auto-Rx will not fix a ripped or torn seal. In 10 years we have never "degraded a seal" our chemistry does not swell seals. This string has riun it's course."

This is far and away the absolute worst customer service experience I have ever had. This is how they stand by their product. I will never purchase another product from Auto-RX or Frank Miller ever again. I am having the seals replaced at my expense and will be telling everyone I can to avoid Auto-RX like the plague. Buy some other competing product, do not give this man your hard earned money. You'll just get thrown to the side like I did.

With further research I found this thread: http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56544 If what is said there is true, then this is very damning evidence against Auto-RX

Last edited by Amandyke; 07-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Here is a link to the post I made on their forum: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic) - Questions & Answers

Assuming they don't delete it just look at their responses to the post. Don't let that be you.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru STI
Thanks for your informative write up. Forums are great because of individual experiences. I personally think you just got screwed. Are there other complaints about Auto-RX? This is the first I've heard of the brand myself, so obviously i have no background knowledge of this what so ever. I was wondering if you were just a person with bad luck. Regardless... if the product fails, I would like to think companies will hold responsibility. I am a person who is willing to pay a lot for a good product, but if all else fails, it's nice to be taken care of.

Again, thanks for your warning.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Forrester
TOPIC: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic)

TornSeals3

Date: 05:04 PM Jul 25, 2011

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic)

I am writing to anyone that might be on the fence about purchasing a treatment or two of Auto-RX. In few words, Don't Do it. Allow me to go into the background of my issue.

I have a 2003 wrx that was burning around .75 quarts of oil every thousand miles or so. Thinking that it might be a stuck ring land I came across Auto-RX that claimed it could free up stuck ring lands, increase cylinder pressures, and reduce oil blow by. "GREAT!" I thought to myself, this is exactly what I needed. So after speaking with Rich Eklund regarding what oil to use in my treatment cycle I settled on Valvoline Conventional 5w30 for both the treatment oil, and the rinse oil.

Roughly 1000-1500 miles into the treatment an oil leak developed on the drivers side of my motor, at first I thought it might have been the valve cover gasket. So I looked on the Auto-RX website and saw that there was a possibility that Auto-RX could make your seals more pliable. "Seems plausible" I thought to myself, the FAQ said that it could take up to 3000 miles for the seals to re-seal and after that everything should be golden. So I waited, drained out the Auto-RX treatment oil and refilled with clean Valvoline 5w30 and a fresh Purelator One filter. 1,000 miles passed, no change in the leak. 2,000 miles passed, still no change in fact it was getting worse. 3,000 miles passed, and still the oil leak was getting a little worse. After 3,500 miles I drained the oil and refilled with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a fresh Purelator One filter.

During this time I began speaking to local shops regarding what the cause could be, as Auto-RX states that it cannot under any circumstances cause harm to seals. The overwhelming conscensus was that a cam seal had torn. So I contacted Auto-RX again to get their opinion on what could be going on. And once again Rich Ukland answered my email. Wherein he said that it could be a stuck PCV valve, maybe some dirt had dislodged and gotteen stuck in the seal causing the leak, or that it could also be a torn seal. He offered that he could look into getting a complimentary bottle of Auto-RX sent to me if a new PCV wouldn't solve the problem.

After a few days I decided that I would I would take Rich up on his offer of a complimentary bottle of Auto-RX. I sent an email in on July 22nd, wherein I asked if he could look into getting another bottle of Auto-RX sent to me. Here is where the otherwise good customer service experience went completely down hill. Rich was out on vacation and now Frank Miller (the owner of the company) was answering the emails. Here is his response to the email I wrote:

"Hello Rich is on vacation. Why would we send you a free bottle of Auto-Rx ?"

Brief to say the least. But I oblidged to tell him why a free bottle might be sent to me with this reply:

"Well first and foremost Rich said that he'd look into it. To give you the back story: after my first treatment of Auto-RX I developed an oil leak from a cam seal, I had hoped that it would have gone away but it still persists 5000 miles after the treatment oil had been drained."

Now keep in mind that Auto-RX uses a gmail account for their customer service email. So Frank would have full access to the string of emails that had been sent. Here is the response I received from Frank, along with the rest of the email conversation. His emails are Bolded, mine are italicized:

"WHAT IS THE OIL YOUR USING ? "

"I ran Valvoline conventional through it for the treatment oil and the oil change after. It currently has Pennzoil Ultra in it."

"This is from our website " Drain the Ultra go back to Valvoline Conventinal the leak will stop." He copy/pasted a portion of the website that went over why you should not use Pennzoil Ultra or other PAO based oils in conjunction with an Auto-RX treatment. Keep in mind that at this point my motor had not had Auto-RX in it for 5000 miles.

"I had run Valvoline convention through it for after the treatment 3000 miles and the leak showed no signs of stopping. I do plan on changing back to a conventional oil as the price of the pennzoil ultra is prohibitive given that the car is leaking more than 1 quart every 1000 miles currently. To clarify, Pennzoil Ultra and Auto-RX have *NOT* been in the motor at the same time, only Valvoline Conventional was used with Auto-RX and in the oil change following the Auto-RX treatment."

"**** is is the complex additive package in the full synthetic oil that caused the leak to come back. If your saying it leaked after you completed rinse mode with Valvoline Conventinal oil ? than you have a torn or ripped seal. Which will have to be replaced." He clearly had not understood that the oil leak began during the original Auto-RX treatment and had not stopped since.

"That is exactly what I am saying, the leak developed at the end of the treatment cycle and persisted through the rinse and into this current oil change. I have an appointment on monday to have the seal replaced which will be roughly $400. Needless to say I am very much less than thrilled to be having to spend $400 to replace a seal with less than 10k miles on it after using your product. I would appreciate some assistance in repairing this damage that your product caused."

"Auto-Rx can't cause a sel leak and it can't repair a torn seal Based on your e-mails think you should step to the plate and recognise your own inability to except a mechanical problem. If you added more Auto-Rx after the application was complete you need to tell me perhaps i can save you a repair bill also if you used a full synthetic right after the Auto-rx Application you need to tell me by right after i mean with in 500 miles after Your Auto-rx application was finished. " I was willing to recount all of the steps I had taken with the original Auto-RX treatment. But it was at this point when Frank began getting hostile with me simply because I requested some sort of assistance with the oil leak that started during the Auto-RX treatment. This response caused me to reel, was this person really a representative of the company? Why would you be treating a customer like this, especially when they're having a rather serious issue?

"I really do not appreciate your condescending attitude and remarks regarding this matter.

I have told you, multiple times, that the oil I used with the Auto-RX treatment (when the leak started) was Valvoline Conventional, as is one of your recommended oils. The oil change immediately after that treatment cycle was ALSO Valvoline Conventional, as is the recommendation. The leak began roughly 1000 miles into the treatment cycle, and has not stopped in the 5000 miles since.

This is not my inability to "except" a mechanical problem, this is your product causing a seal to degrade in such a manner as to cause this oil leak. I have not added any further Auto-RX to any of the following oil changes as I had read the seal leak application documentation that you replied with. If you believe that another treatment of Auto-RX will remedy the situation, by all means send me another bottle and I will put it in with my next oil change. However, given the amount of oil that is leaking from the seal, I do not believe this is simply a pliable seal. I have attached several photographs that show how oily the undercarriage of the car is now due to this oil leak and the size of the oil stain on my driveway from this oil leak. Previous to this my vehicle had never dripped a single drop of oil in it's lifetime, the undercarriage was only every covered with road dust and dirt. It is now covered in a film of oil." I sent him these four photos which show how much oil is leaking from the seal: https://i.imgur.com/m2UAo.jpg https://i.imgur.com/H0kfC.jpg https://i.imgur.com/bU9Hw.jpg https://i.imgur.com/PbOJC.jpg

"If i am to accept you did the application absoulutely correct than your leak it is because it is ripped or torn.We don't fix this problem. Another bottle of Auto-Rx will not fix a ripped or torn seal. In 10 years we have never "degraded a seal" our chemistry does not swell seals. This string has riun it's course."

-

-- Edited by Frank on Monday 25th of July 2011 06:34:47 PM

Frank

Date: 05:46 PM Jul 25, 2011

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse

I don't delete anyones post at any time you are a type person who revels in half truths. Our seal application clearly states our policy. You call people using profanity when all your posts show 1-You had leaks before you ever bought Auto-Rx 2- You used a full synthetic when we spent time to and effort to explain to you don't do so. 3- I gave you a work around your own mistakes you did not take it. 4- Asking Auto-Rx for free product or helping you pay for your mistake last and not least to give you arefund for public relations good will or you will destroy Auto-Rx .

You are a "Troll" much like the indivual you quoted from the link you mentioned. I am sorry that your seals leaks you should have tried to remedy that as we e-mailed you to do. I would have gladly given you your purchase price back however when you cursed at me that thought left. Why don't you just walk away ?

-- Edited by Frank on Monday 25th of July 2011 06:23:48 PM

dbdeland

Date: 05:59 PM Jul 25, 2011

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic)

I am the Administrator of the ARX forum and the one that bans members for bashing Auto- Rx and not Frank, if you continue I will permanently ban you.

Daryl Baines

Administrator

-- Edited by Frank on Monday 25th of July 2011 06:40:15 PM

dbdeland

Date: 06:13 PM Jul 25, 2011

RE: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse

You also used frankmiller@autorx.com email as your own to get back on the ARX forum and that is illegal and shows how much creditability you have you will be banned and turned over to the proper authorities.

Daryl Baines

Administrators

Richone

Date: 06:34 PM Jul 25, 2011

Wow. It would appear that there exists a bunch of miscomunication going on here. And from both sides. First of all Auto-Rx did not create the seal leak. It really has little to no impact on any seal material, other than cleaning hardened oxidized oil deposits from the surface. In doing so oil can help carry away heat from the polymer seal and extend its life. But as far as ARX swelling a seal that is simply not the case. In immersion test in staight ARX, the product does not swell seals.

On the other side of the coin, it sounds like the application was done correctly. I think that the seal issue may just be coincidental. The motor is a rebuild, with only 10,000 miles. I am wondering if the cams were replaced as part of the rebuild or if these are the original cam seals. These little performance motors are quite tough on seals, from my reading on the internet, just from google searches. Besides, if Auto-Rx caused seal leaks then you would have leaks on the other end of the cam(s) and crank seals as well.

I had orginally offered a comp bottle, just in case a small amount of engine deposits collected under the seal lip during the cleaning process. It was a long shot, in that there is little chance of this happening, due to ARX slowly dissolving deposits, no chunks like with solvent flushes. Besides with only 10K on a rebuild the motor should have been pretty clean to start with.

Personally I would have given the ARX another shot, just to rule out the long shot, which is why I offered to check into a comp. bottle. But this has gotten out of control. Sometimes things happen that is not anybody's fault. A piece of polymer failed, it happens every day.

Rich

dbdeland

Date: 06:35 PM Jul 25, 2011

RE: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic)

We just blocked a customer who tried to blame Auto-Rx for seal damage he has incurred. If the truth be known, if there is seal damage, it was there and he knew about it before purchasing Auto-Rx and now is trying to blackmail Auto-Rx. In a telephone call to Frank, he wanted free product (no), then some financial consideration for problems of his own making (againno). Frank is not paying anything, but he did spend time developing a workaround to correct the problem the poster created by using a full synthetic oil. Of course, this was of no interest.

Auto-Rx has a fine guarantee and otherwise could not have been in business over 10 years. Unfortunately, there will always be people looking to see how they can make money by threats and cursing.

If you see his post on any board and have questions, just call Frank. "Torn Seals" is the kind of seat mate we all have had in our airline travels. As Board Administrator, I have blocked this "FLAME" and its poster.

Daryl Baines

Administrator

yarbrough

Date: 06:48 PM Jul 25, 2011

RE: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse

is it possible sludge formation was causing the bad seal not to leak? and then when it was gone the leak showed up?

Frank

Date: 06:53 PM Jul 25, 2011

No i have copied what was posted above by Rich. Sludge causes leaks.

On the other side of the coin, it sounds like the application was done correctly. I think that the seal issue may just be coincidental. The motor is a rebuild, with only 10,000 miles. I am wondering if the cams were replaced as part of the rebuild or if these are the original cam seals. These little performance motors are quite tough on seals, from my reading on the internet, just from google searches. Besides, if Auto-Rx caused seal leaks then you would have leaks on the other end of the cam(s) and crank seals as well.

When somebody has to falsify an e-mail address to post than IMO that post is not to be trusted for truthful text.

-- Edited by Frank on Monday 25th of July 2011 06:57:30 PM

TurboJim

Date: 09:52 PM Jul 25, 2011

Here are the instructions for seal leaks - http://www.auto-rx.com/sealleaks.html

Does seem odd that a cam seal would fail in less than 10,000 miles. Unfortunately we may never know "why". Since ARX is such a gentle cleaner I would look elsewhere for the cause.

-- Edited by TurboJim on Monday 25th of July 2011 09:53:13 PM

onthefritz8

Veteran Member

Date: 10:45 PM Jul 25, 2011

I'm quite sure that if Auto-RX was causing engine and gasket problems it would be all over the internet by now. I've used it in two cars treating the engine and transmission and have not had a single problem with the results. Granted I may not have noticed much changes in the before and after but it didn't harm anything and in one car my gas mileage did improve.

Page 1 of 1 sorted by Oldest FirstNewest First

This is the original thread from the auto-rx board, you can judge for yourself how the OP was treated.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Big Bear,

That was actually the 3rd or 4th thread that I made on that forum.you can easily tell by the user name. I incremented or up by one each time they banned me for posting exactly what I posted to this thread. Also note that there are no posts by me in the thread aside from the op. That is because they banned me right after I had posted it. Further note that Frank edited the op, the name calling by their staff, and the wild accusations of black mail they claim further down. To this day I still deter people from using that product and am proud that this thread is the#4 US Google result and #2 UK Google result.

I stand by everything that I said in this op as the truth of the situation and to the best of my ability of relating the events.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM

No New Posts

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse (Preview) Auto-Rx Plus For Engines 0 14
12:14 PM Jul 25, 2011
by TornSeals

No New Posts

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse (Preview) Auto-Rx Plus For Engines 0 16
12:41 PM Jul 25, 2011
by TornSeals

No New Posts

Terrible experience with Auto-RX, customer service experience was worse (Preview) Auto-Rx Plus For Engines 0 13
12:48 PM Jul 25, 2011
by TornSeals2

It seems Amandyke started 3 threads with no response and then on the 4th thread he was successful. You can see that threads were started at

12:14 p.m.
12:41 p.m.
12:48 p.m.
5:04 p.m.

Since auto-rx 1st started there business they have treated anyone who complained about there product just like they treated Amandyke. I am sure Amandyke wants this thread to be about auto-rx's customer service and not about whether it works or not. In the summer of 2013 auto-rx got rid of there money back guarantee and they changed the name of there product to Auto-Rx Plus. Usually companies change the name of there product when it has a bad reputation.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru legacy GT limited
Originally Posted by Amandyke
Here is a link to the post I made on their forum: Terrible experience with Auto-RX, Is it The Product Or Me ? (read all posts on this topic) - Questions & Answers

Assuming they don't delete it just look at their responses to the post. Don't let that be you.
Ok so you want to bash the product and the owner and developer but sit back and really think about it did you have sludge build up in your engine seals go out over time but if you have oil sludge or build up on the inside of your seals if you or previous owners of the car have not done proper oil changes you most Likely have oil build up and if you have a worn out seal and the sludge/ build up is going to seal off that small gap but when you use a engine oil cleaner regardless what one you use if you clean that sludge away it's going to reveal all and any torn/dried out/ cracked / worn out seals and it will leak oil from those points I am a mechanic and I know I can't just tell you what's wrong without getting into it and actually inspecting the parts but I can tell you what the possibilities of what is going on could be so please tell us what was found when the work was done on your car plus a engine cleaner can not dry out a seal in a short time it take a long while of continued use to have a effect
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jonlee89
Ok so you want to bash the product and the owner and developer but sit back and really think about it did you have sludge build up in your engine seals go out over time but if you have oil sludge or build up on the inside of your seals if you or previous owners of the car have not done proper oil changes you most Likely have oil build up and if you have a worn out seal and the sludge/ build up is going to seal off that small gap but when you use a engine oil cleaner regardless what one you use if you clean that sludge away it's going to reveal all and any torn/dried out/ cracked / worn out seals and it will leak oil from those points I am a mechanic and I know I can't just tell you what's wrong without getting into it and actually inspecting the parts but I can tell you what the possibilities of what is going on could be so please tell us what was found when the work was done on your car plus a engine cleaner can not dry out a seal in a short time it take a long while of continued use to have a effect
You are so clearly a shill for auto Rx. You just joined this forum and your very first post is not to introduce yourself in any of the newbie forums or to post about your car or post some advice anywhere else on the forum. No, your first post is to go to this years old thread to defend auro-rx with the same argument I got from Frank years ago. That clearly it must have been poor maintenance on the car that caused the problem and not the product. You are not fooling anyone Frank. Try and save the reputiation of your product all you want.

For the record I have not had a single leak or problem with my engine since I had the seal replaced, the seal was *not* torn or in any way damaged. To this day I firmly place the blame for the leak and subsequent repair on auto-rx and I continue to tell this story of a bad product and even worse customer service to anyone I have reason to tell. So thank you Frank, you've given me another reason to continue the story and have given me another facet to tell with this most recent post.

Last edited by Amandyke; 04-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Car Info: Dodge Charger
Hi Amandyke,

This is Rich Eklund. I am sorry about your poor experience with the Auto-rx product. I had tried to help you through the Auto-Rx process the best I could, before going on vacation. I think after reading all that you have to say, I can not fault you for being angered. However, I strongly feel that it is only founded on the interaction with Auto-Rx personnel. And has nothing to do with the product itself.

In speaking to Frank, he would be the first to admit that he handled your inquiries poorly. But, he has also offered up an apology to you as well. Once the water is over the dam, then that is about all one can do. Would I expect you to come back and visit Auto-Rx? Likely not.

But there is basically no chance that the Auto-Rx product caused the seal leak. The most likely senario is that the seal wasn't installed perfectly during the rebuild. The leaking seal appeared to be in good condition when replaced.
There is also a seal on the other end of the cam, that did not leak. There are also rotary seals on each end of the crankshaft. I am a chemical consultant to Auto-Rx. I can assure you that Auto-Rx does not insult seals.

I am sorry that we let you down, with respect to customer service. Generally, customer service is a strong suit of Auto-Rx.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Rick10
Hi Amandyke,

This is Rich Eklund. I am sorry about your poor experience with the Auto-rx product. I had tried to help you through the Auto-Rx process the best I could, before going on vacation. I think after reading all that you have to say, I can not fault you for being angered. However, I strongly feel that it is only founded on the interaction with Auto-Rx personnel. And has nothing to do with the product itself.

In speaking to Frank, he would be the first to admit that he handled your inquiries poorly. But, he has also offered up an apology to you as well. Once the water is over the dam, then that is about all one can do. Would I expect you to come back and visit Auto-Rx? Likely not.

But there is basically no chance that the Auto-Rx product caused the seal leak. The most likely senario is that the seal wasn't installed perfectly during the rebuild. The leaking seal appeared to be in good condition when replaced.
There is also a seal on the other end of the cam, that did not leak. There are also rotary seals on each end of the crankshaft. I am a chemical consultant to Auto-Rx. I can assure you that Auto-Rx does not insult seals.

I am sorry that we let you down, with respect to customer service. Generally, customer service is a strong suit of Auto-Rx.

Thanks for reading.
Still wouldn't trust it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rick10
Hi Amandyke,

Thanks for reading.
Rick,

To the best of my knowledge Frank *never* offered me an apology for his handling of the situation. You can claim that Auto-RX cannot hard a seal all you want, however it is still advertised to make a seal more pliable and to be able to stop seal leaks. This clearly means that Auto-RX acts on seals in some way. In my case, this acting on the seal caused it to leak and necessitated it's replacement.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM

#270469 - 10/26/03 01:55 AM Did Auto-RX ruin my drain plug washer?
timzak Offline

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Prior to an Auto-RX treatment on my Mustang, I put new drain plug washers on. These were the brass washers with rubber inner linings. When I changed the oil, I noticed the rubber was VERY soft on the washers, but I reused them anyhow. 300 miles into the next interval, I noticed seepage from my drain plugs. Rather than take any chances, I changed the oil again today (kept the filter on, though) and the rubber was practically peeling off of the washers. I put new nylon washers on and refilled the sump. No more seepage.

Did Auto-RX's rubber-softening properties do this, or were these [censored] single-use washers to begin with? I've never used this type of washer previously.

#270477 - 10/29/03 11:07 PM Re: Did Auto-RX ruin my drain plug washer?
Frank Offline

Loc: Jacksonville Beach Fl

Auto-Rx is not an oil or an oil additive,No possibility it affected washer material . Check out additive package in oil your using.

#275143 - 06/04/04 04:37 AM Leaking oil with AutoRX
T-Keith Offline

Loc: MN

I started my autoRX treatment on Sunday. Unfortunately I noticed an oil spot on the driveway when I got home. I've leaked 3/4 of a quart in the first 400-500 miles. I'm worried about loosing all the AutoRX before the treatment is over(1500 miles). My capacity is only 3.5 quarts.

It's leaking at the oil plug/filter cover. It's never had a problem before and I even replaced the gasket a couple oil changes ago. [I dont know]

I was hoping to get a good before and after example of AutoRX, and this apears to be screwing things up. [Mad]

Any ideas?

#275163 - 06/11/04 07:37 PM Re: Leaking oil with AutoRX
Frank Offline

T-Keith you need to revisit wwww.auto-rx.com
and study application "How To Stop Rear Main Seal Leaks" than go to Proof Of Value and read about Mercury Marquis and look at photos.Synthetic esters can be hard on seal material, they are part of the complex additive package used by oil company's to make there synthetic oil perform.
Sometimes leaks occur.

#275164 - 06/12/04 08:31 AM Re: Leaking oil with AutoRX
T-Keith Offline

Loc: MN

I did not plan on following the "seal repair instructions" because I did not have any leaks until I put in the AutoRX. No offense, but your post does not come off well. I buy a product that is supposed to help seal leaks, instead it causes them, and then when I ask for help, you suggest using the same product to cure the problem it created in the first place.

I realize the circumstances may be different, but that it how your post sounds. [I dont know]

#284052 - 02/05/05 01:30 PM Auto-RX caused a leak...again...
kevz Offline

Loc: oakland, CA

I used ARX in my Saturn SL and in my Acura Integra. Both cars developed a leak around the oil pan. I believe the oil pan gasket on the Saturn is original. What kind of ticks me off is that I replaced the Integra oil pan gasket about a year ago so it's not an issue of the seal being old and deteriorated. [Mad]

I'm hoping the leak will stop…if it doesn’t; the slight performance increase ARX gave my cars isn't worth it. The cost, time, and effort for replacing the seal isn't worth it to me.
[Frown]

284059 - 02/05/05 09:10 PM Re: Auto-RX caused a leak...again...
Frank Offline

What kind of oil are you using in these two engines?
False Seals are not any help or protection, at some point those type seals will fail with drastic results.You should have good performance. What type application did you impliment on these engines?

#284060 - 02/05/05 10:01 PM Re: Auto-RX caused a leak...again...
kevz Offline

Loc: oakland, CA

I just used the single basic application that is posted on the website. I used SuperTech 10W-30 for clean and rinse. The oil pan gasket was replaced around 145k and the car has 159k now.

I used a brand new OEM honda gasket. The original gasket was hard and cracked. After the replacement, there were no leaks. I don't think i can retorque it. Over torquing will crush the gasket. I don't think i have a fuel problem, the car gets very good milage.
[I dont know]

#284056 - 02/05/05 07:32 PM Re: Auto-RX caused a leak...again...
MustangGT Offline

Loc: Pullman WA

I've tried auto-rx on two vehicles that had no leaks at all, both developed leaks within 1000-1500 miles, I continued the treatments as instructed, the leaks have never cleared up, they are small but are still there. I know that most people here are big auto-rx supporters here, but I learned me lesson, stay away from "treatments" period.

#298735 - 01/03/06 09:26 PM Oil leaks after 2 Auto-Rx treatments
ntwrkguy1 Offline

Loc: North Carolina

I did two separate ARX treatments on my '01 Suburban. It was closing in on 100,000 miles (96k when I started the first treatment), so I took the plunge and did both.

The first clean/rinse cycle went smoothly with no issues. I followed the guidelines on the ARX site as far as intervals, oil type, etc. On the second treatment, just as I was approaching the end of the rinse phase, the vehilce started to leak oil. Not much (probably less than a 1/4 of an ounce over 24 hours), but it had never leaked oil before.

I checked the filter/drain plug, and everything seemed to be fine. I haven't tracked down the source of the leak at this time. Has anyone else experienced a leak after ARX?

#298738 - 01/03/06 10:14 PM Re: Oil leaks after 2 Auto-Rx treatments
Frank Offline

You may have a seal weeping since it has been cleaned by Auto-Rx (Auto-Rx does not swell seals)
make sure your using non synthetic oil and don't put any additive in this oil just drive.Weep will stop
as seal is getting perfect fit from additive package
in non sythetic oil.

#1083089 - 02/10/08 12:14 PM Oil leak after Auto-RX
chan Offline

Loc: California

I'm in the rinse phase of my Auto-RX treatment and there is an oil leak now. I'm losing about half a quart in 4 weeks. Should I do another Auto-RX treatment or just wait it out another 3000 miles? My car is a 98 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles. Any suggestions?

#1083167 - 02/10/08 02:24 PM Re: Oil leak after Auto-RX [Re: kd5byb]
Frank Offline

Chan are you trying to stop a seal leak ? Please advise.

#1083171 - 02/10/08 02:27 PM Re: Oil leak after Auto-RX [Re: Frank]
chan Offline

Loc: California

I bought the car a couple of months ago and had a bottle of Auto-Rx sitting in my garage, so I decided to give it a treatment. The car wasn't leaking oil until after the cleaning phase of Auto-RX.

#1083216 - 02/10/08 03:44 PM Re: Oil leak after Auto-RX [Re: chan]
Frank Offline

Chan have someone check and indentify where the leak is coming from.

A seal leak calls for a differen,t application. Ae you using synthetic oil?

It could be as simple as a crud buildup (acting as a seal of sorts) that Auto-Rx cleaned. Any way feel sure we can stop leak once we know it,s origin.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...lug#Post270469
Leaking oil with AutoRX | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Auto-RX caused a leak...again... | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...rea#Post298735
Oil leak after Auto-RX | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Six people complained about seal leaks that happened after they put auto-rx in there engines, Frank Miller responded to five of these people.

I was shocked at what Frank Miller said about Rotary/Wankel Engines.

#265095 - 04/28/03 03:34 AM anyone use Auto-RX on a rotary engine? (13b)
00 scrub Offline

Loc: Irvine or Berkeley, Ca

I was wondering if anyone has tried using auto-rx on a rotary engine like Mazda's 13b? These engines are prone to carbon build up later in life, and inject oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate apex seals. Would it be safe ro advisable to use auto-rx to clean the engine?

#265096 - 04/28/03 06:30 AM Re: anyone use Auto-RX on a rotary engine? (13b)
Frank Offline

Auto-Rx has cleaned Wankel designed engines, with
excellent results, configuration of the engine cylinders is not a mitigating factor in Auto-Rx cleansing properties. Hope this helps .

TOPIC: Any experiences with ARX in rotary/Wankel engines?
rayhell
Date 2:05 PM June 17, 2008

Hi all,
do anyone have any experience with using Auto-RX in rotary/Wankel engines like the Mazda RX-series?

I guess it will work okay, but these engines are quite differntly built than traditional "bangers" and also have oil injected directly into the rotary chambers. Some of this oil will burn/combust, and if it contains ARX - what will happen? They also use special seals on the pistons as far as I know.

Frank Miller
Guru
Posts 811
Date 8:06 AM June 18, 2008

Ray we have done "Wankel Engines" however I don,t know where the data is, can somebody else chime in please ?

Topic: We are not sure if ARX would work on rotary engine, volunteer welcome.
Frank Miller
Guru
Posts 811
Date 4:13 PM July 16, 2008

I am sorry that I dont have a definitive statement, nor a list of Rotary motor endorsers for Auto-Rx. The biggest concern we have with running Auto-Rx in the Wankel Rotary design has to do with the introduction of the oil with fuel prior to injection to the combustion chamber. The lanolin esters mostly responsible for the cleaning action in piston driven motors, is not compatible with gasoline. The lanolin ester does not blend with gasoline, which could be a problem. This is the reason we state that ARX is not compatible with 2 cycle motors where the oil is combined with fuel and fed through the intake. So based on this alone, we dont know if the ARX would be successful in the rotary.

With respect to the Auto-Rx capability to slowly dissolve carbon build up, it would work great. If you have a unit that is destined for a rebuild and want to experiment, I am sure that I could comp you a bottle or two. But I cannot guarantee any product results, plus or minus. A primary ester used in ARX has wide acclaim as the base of jet engine lubrication. So a lot of the formula tells me it could work great in a wankel. But the lanolin ester may be a concern as stated above.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Back on 4-28-03 Frank Miller is claiming that Auto-Rx has cleaned Wankel designed engines with excellent results and there is no problem with an engine that injects oil into the combustion chamber. In another thread on 6-18-08 he is claiming that Auto-Rx has done "Wankel Engines" but he does not know where the data is. On 7-16-08 in another thread he has a concern with the introduction of oil into the combustion chamber, yet he is looking for a volunteer to experiment but he cannot guarantee any product results, plus or minus.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ary#Post265095

Any experiences with ARX in rotary/Wankel engines? - Auto-Rx Plus Comments-Questions

http://auto-rx.activeboard.com/t1912...ine-volunteer/

On 7-1-2011 Frank Miller posts in the Trust and Verify thread, but also offer a private one on one consultation and support program at the technicalarx link on the main site. It seems Amandyke had a 2 on 1 consultation with Frank Miller and Rich Ecklund.

TRUST AND VERIFY - Auto-Rx Plus Comments-Questions

I have provided Links to back up everything that I have posted here, thanks for reading.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Car Info: 2000 Saab 9-3 SE
I started using Auto Rx about 5 years ago in my old Saab. The engine had sludged up and the something critical (rings around drive shaft or something I can't recall now) was going to eventually seize the engine according to a couple of mechanics including a Saab specialist. Said it was common in that engine model if the synthetics weren't always used and changed regularly. Anyway, I was given about 6-9 months left on the engine.

I heard/read about Auto Rx and said, what the hell, can't hurt. So I used two bottles and kept using it at a normal dose after that and the engine lasted for two years and the noise reduced, so much so that I sold the car (with the full notice that the engine would eventually fail; I'm not an a**hole after all).

Anyway, I use Auto Rx still in my new and much more reliable Saab convertible and I swear by and have recommended the product. Just my two cents.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Neil Paz-Cruzat
I started using Auto Rx about 5 years ago in my old Saab. The engine had sludged up and the something critical (rings around drive shaft or something I can't recall now) was going to eventually seize the engine according to a couple of mechanics including a Saab specialist. Said it was common in that engine model if the synthetics weren't always used and changed regularly. Anyway, I was given about 6-9 months left on the engine.

I heard/read about Auto Rx and said, what the hell, can't hurt. So I used two bottles and kept using it at a normal dose after that and the engine lasted for two years and the noise reduced, so much so that I sold the car (with the full notice that the engine would eventually fail; I'm not an a**hole after all).

Anyway, I use Auto Rx still in my new and much more reliable Saab convertible and I swear by and have recommended the product. Just my two cents.
Wooooooooooooow sounds like a truly genuine review and not at all a standard contrived bull**** copy and paste paid carpet bomb advertisement across multiple forums that come up in Google search...especially considering your substantial tenure and contributions to this forum.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by LxJLthr

Wooooooooooooow sounds like a truly genuine review and not at all a standard contrived bull**** copy and paste paid carpet bomb advertisement across multiple forums that come up in Google search...especially considering your substantial tenure and contributions to this forum.
Seriously.. wtf. Your post claims you're " not an *******" yet you join a subaru forum to post in a thread like this
Joke's on you sir..No critically thinking member here would use this product. Good day.

Last edited by subysteez; 02-09-2015 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto-RX Oil Treatment. Don't Do It.