Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...

wow is all I have to say. I will hate on them and put them on blast for the rest of my entire existence and nobody should EVER go there for anything. I only went there out of pure convenience and that I figured that they would not have trouble helping me solve my issue...

these guys are shady to the max. They tell me $150 for diagnostic smoke test for my recurring P0442 and P0456 (evap emission control system very small leaks) cels.

I ask what does that $150 entail... they respond with a sarcastic tone, the diagnostic to find your leak. (somewhat my fault for not questioning this response from the start)

I say okay. Let's do it. He says, call me if you haven't heard back from me by 2:30.

I call at 2:30, he's not there, out to lunch or something.

I get a call back, he states, that the tech found nothing, no leak.

I laughed and said, okay, so can you give me a list of what the tech checked, what was deemed to be in proper working order? Is there any process whatsoever that is followed? He says no. I ask, how do I even know he brought it into the shop and it didn't just sit outside all day (mirroring his sarcastic tone)? Did you check the purge valves, solenoids, the nipples, vent control valves, secondary, primary, filler neck, charcoal canister? I have some rust on the underbody of my car, so I really figured it'd be something easy to identify & fix.

He didn't know how to respond (I think), so he says, we normally spend 1.5hrs on these diagnostics and if nothing is found, we have to call customer and ask for more time/money, but we even spent another 2hrs!(because it was slow) hahaha (I laughed)not find any leak, we will need another $300 at least to drop out your fuel tank to check the lines coming from the fuel pump.

I laughed and said, I'd like to know what exactly was checked so that I can troubleshoot myself and if something you checked off as 'good' I find fault, I'd like to get my money back, cause obviously I would have paid for something that you missed. He laughed... so I said, I'm coming to pick up my car now. side note, the guy who moves the cars literally stalled my car 4 times just moving it 50ft, has no clue how to drive a manual.

I got charged $150 for absolutely nothing. FML. a sucker really is born every minute, and it was me that time... hahaha

Moral of the story is: don't ever go to Steven's Creek Subaru for anything, literally anything and I hope this post has saved another poor sap from making the same mistake I have...

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 10-12-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 BRP 2.5RS
No professional would act that way when dealing with a customer. Why the F**K would anyone hire someone like that. You need to get it tested at a place like LIC or GST or whomever is closest to you. Get the results and get your money back from them. that's f**ked up. Sorry to hear that.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Evap leaks are ridiculously hard to find at times but Im sorry you feel you got ripped off. Least they could've done was check Mode 6 data to see what exactly was off causing the code(s) to be thrown.

A minor leak (needle) sometimes wont be found even smoking the system.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
OP... so did the guy give you a list?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Whoa you paid $150 for a diagnostic?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

No list ever received, and yes, $150 for diagnostic.

I don't know of other places near me that know scoobs and that do smoke tests for these specific cels to find the leak.

if anyone is willing to help, I'd be eternally greatful...

but yes, frustrating, these cels.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
No list ever received, and yes, $150 for diagnostic.

I don't know of other places near me that know scoobs and that do smoke tests for these specific cels to find the leak.

if anyone is willing to help, I'd be eternally greatful...

but yes, frustrating, these cels.
If the dealer with dealer level tools wasnt able to find the problem (if they did what they said they did), I doubt I'll be able to help. Try GST, EQ, LIC, AHQ or DBT

Have you tried replacing the gas cap and clearing the CEL to see if it returns?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by burnyou2
No professional would act that way when dealing with a customer. Why the F**K would anyone hire someone like that. You need to get it tested at a place like LIC or GST or whomever is closest to you. Get the results and get your money back from them. that's f**ked up. Sorry to hear that.
Agreed. I'll work on the side to either get my $ back or will get my vengance in some shape or form; I studied negotiation and conflict resolution as well as have a close friend who's a lawyer and I have 7 on my side hahah...

GST is who tuned my ride, but I wasn't sure if Mike does smoke tests and fixes these issues often, I live in Cupertino, so kinda deep journey in hellacious traffic for me also. I normally work 8-7. I simply just didn't see this coming.

the point of this thread was not for sympathy, but thank you though.

I just hope that nobody else gets f'ed over by these asshats.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
If the dealer with dealer level tools wasnt able to find the problem (if they did what they said they did), I doubt I'll be able to help. Try GST, EQ, LIC, AHQ or DBT

Have you tried replacing the gas cap and clearing the CEL to see if it returns?
Yes, I bought new gas cap and cleared the CELs, both returned...

I'm thinking its the valve inside the canister that opens only under specific condition, so even if smoke tested and the valve isn't open, it won't show leak or something.

I really appreciate your advice and input tho.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Maybe try calling the service manager to get your issue resolved. Who was your advisor?

Sorry you feel like you were shafted, but the reality is that if things like this are never brought to the attention of someone that is in charge there is little room to correct any issue.

A diagnostic fee for vehicles out of warranty is a very standard thing. I agree that more information should have been provided to you, though.

You can call me directly if you feel more comfortable with that. I'd be happy to help you out with whatever I can.

Ryan
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

There are other ways to track your issues down to the canister besides a smoke test.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Maybe try calling the service manager to get your issue resolved. Who was your advisor?

Sorry you feel like you were shafted, but the reality is that if things like this are never brought to the attention of someone that is in charge there is little room to correct any issue.

A diagnostic fee for vehicles out of warranty is a very standard thing. I agree that more information should have been provided to you, though.

You can call me directly if you feel more comfortable with that. I'd be happy to help you out with whatever I can.

Ryan
Nope. Done deal. Capitol said that they would take however long it's req'd to find it, if that's what I'm paying for. I don't want to put the guy on blast here, but you know who he is.

I don't feel like I was shafted, I guaranteed was shafted... period. nuff said.

I find it even funnier that I had a wierd feeling that I'd get some random response from sc suby. ahahah. trying to make their actions seem right/appropriate. If someone pays for a diagnostic, and nothing was found (not my problem), why would you keep their $?

I don't agree with your comments either, and no thanks, you can't help me, I'm done wasting my time and money there.

my buddy even got a certified pre-owned from there, and it came immediately with issues, hahahaha. even with headlights and blinkers out... hahahaha

if you really sincerely cared and are a good person, you'd get out of that flaming pile of a dealership. =)

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 10-12-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM

There are other ways to track your issues down to the canister besides a smoke test.
and then?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

I actually don't know who it is. I don't even know who you are (at least I couldn't put a face to the SN).

Not sure what comments you don't agree with, but hey... I tried to be helpful. I'm the furthest thing from a clown, thanks.

I wish you the best of luck in figuring out the issue and hope someone is able to fix it for you.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM

I actually don't know who it is. I don't even know who you are (at least I couldn't put a face to the SN).

Not sure what comments you don't agree with, but hey... I tried to be helpful. I'm the furthest thing from a clown, thanks.

I wish you the best of luck in figuring out the issue and hope someone is able to fix it for you.
you can figure it out for yourself (I removed his name), and you don't need to know who I am. My apologies for the clown comment, it was meant more for the shop and it's practices, not meant as a personal attack. You may be a nice guy and very serious and the furthest thing from a clown. I shouldn't have said that.

helpful? I'm willing to bet, that the end outcome would be having me bring my car back in there, and dropping more $... I know how 'service advisors' are compensated, my buddy makes about $85k/year doing it...

I've been in customer service, and your comment was not the truth, but it may be for where you work at. The advisor should have went on his own accord and tried to do something, but pretty much refused and even high tailed it out of there before I could even show up. hahhaa

I just want this identified and fixed, and dropping $150 for absolutely nothing, seems counter-productive to my goal, especially getting no info out of it whatsoever. I was treated like just another sucker who doesn't know jack and just says 'yes' to everything that the service advisor 'suggests'. lol

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 10-12-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: removed advisor's name...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...